Transfer Degree Guidelines
The A.A., A.S., A.F.A.., and A.A.T. degrees meet the guidelines of the Illinois Articulation Initiative “Transferable General Education Core Curriculum” and the Illinois Community College Board “Guidelines for Associate Degrees Designed for Transfer”.
Transfer Degree Admissions Requirements
Students applying for admission to a baccalaureate transfer program must have 15 high school credits distributed as follows:
4 credits in English (written and oral communication, literature)
3 credits in Mathematics (introductory through advanced algebra plus geometry)
3 credits in Social Studies (emphasizing history and government)
3 credits in Science (laboratory science)
2 credits in electives (foreign language, art, music, vocational education)
(Illinois Public Act 86-0954)
Students who have academic deficiencies in these minimum requirements can satisfy these deficiencies upon successful completion of 24 transferable credit hours (with a minimum GPA of 2.0) which must include ENG 101 Composition I (3), COMM 101 Principles of Communication (3), one social science course, one four-credit laboratory science course, and one college-level mathematics course.
Transfer Degree Graduation Requirements
Prairie State College offers four transfer degrees:
- Associate in Arts (A.A.),
- Associate in Science (A.S.),
- Associate in Fine Arts: Art (A.F.A.), and
- Associate of Arts in Teaching: Secondary Mathematics (A.A.T.).
Candidates for these degrees must fulfill the following requirements:
- Successfully completing at least 15 credit hours at Prairie State College (excluding proficiency credits).
- Candidates for the A.F.A. Degree must complete 61-62 credit hours including the Transferable General Education Core Curriculum of 31-32 credits. Candidates for the A.A. or A.S. Degree must complete 62 semester hours of college credit as specified, including the Transferable General Education Core Curriculum of 37-41 credits. Candidates for the A.A.T. must complete 64 semester hours of college credit as specified, including the Transferable General Education Core Curriculum of 39-40 credits.
- Attained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in all Prairie State College courses for A.A., A.S. and A.F.A. degrees, and a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 for A.A.T. degrees.
- Filed appropriate evidence of high school graduation or GED certification with the Enrollment Services Office.
Transfer Degree Components
There are three components of degree programs: The Transferable General Education Core Curriculum, the area of concentration or major field, and electives.
I. Transferable General Education Core Curriculum Requirements
A.A. Degree: 37-41 credit hours
A.S. Degree: 31-35 credit hours
A.F.A. Degree: 31-32 credit hours
A.A.T. Degree: 39-40 credit hours
II. Area of Concentration/Major Field
A.A.: 6-25 credit hours
A.S.: 27-31 credit hours
A.F.A.: 21 credit hours
A.A.T.: 25-26 credit hours
The Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.) Degree requires 21 credits from a select list. The Associate of Arts in Teaching requires 25-26 credits from a select list. The Associate of Arts degree recommends 6-25 credits of 100- level or above transfer courses from any of the following areas of concentration. To review the suggested curriculum for specific areas of concentration, see Transfer Degree Areas of Concentration following this section. Depending upon the chosen course of study, additional credit hours may be recommended in the area of concentration, reducing the elective courses. Students should always consult the university of their choice to confirm requirements and transferability of their courses.
For the Associate in Science degree, see Suggested Areas of concentration for lists of popular majors and common freshman/sophomore coursework required by universities for those degrees. Additional A.S. degree requirements to be completed within the Area of Concentration:
- 3 credits, 1 course from the Courses Approved for Transfer list with the course code of MATH
- 3 credits, 1 course from the Courses Approved for Transfer list with the course codes of ASTRO, BIOL, CHEM, ENGR, GEOG, GEOLO, METEO, PHYSC, or PHYSI
III. Electives (0-19 credit hours)
The A.F.A. Degree requires 9 semester hours of media specific courses to meet a total of 61 credits. The A.A. and A.S. Degrees require an additional 0-19 credit hours to meet a degree total of 62 credits. The elective courses must be selected from transfer courses of 100 level or above. Developmental and community service courses cannot be used to satisfy degree requirements in the A.F.A. or A.A./A.S. degree. For the A.A./A.S. degree, students may use one vocational/technical course (four credits or less) that is not on the approved list if they present documentation (recent written correspondence or transfer/advising guide) that the receiving institution will accept the course for credit. If a student plans to use more than one such course, he/she must obtain approval from the Vice President of Academic Affairs. Some universities have a foreign language requirement. Generally, four years of a single foreign language in high school or four semesters of single foreign language in college will fulfill this requirement. It is recommended that students complete the entire sequence at one institution. No more than four credits of physical education courses can be applied to a degree.
Required Transfer Degree Credit Hours: A.A./A.S.: 62, A.F.A.: 61, A.A.T.: 64
Dual Degree Graduation Requirement
Students who wish to receive both the Associate in Arts and the Associate in Science degrees must complete an additional 12 credit hours in the second concentration area that is selected.
Transfer Credit Guarantee
Courses taken by students who earn an Associate in Fine Arts: Art (A.F.A.) Degree or an Associate in Arts (A.A.), or Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree will transfer to Illinois state colleges or universities (including Purdue University Calumet at Hammond) as identified and defined in the Course Equivalency Tables (CET) on file at PSC’s Transfer Center. If a course is taken and successfully completed in compliance with the CET and not accepted in transfer, Prairie State College will refund the tuition for the course. Call (708) 709-3508 for details.